Re: [rt-pmc] Re: Virgo

Hi Greg

On 14 Jan 2010, at 00:14, Greg Wilkins wrote:

> Glyn Normington wrote:
>
>> That said, there is no technical reason why an alternative Jetty-based server should not
>> also be offered by Virgo. Like the proposal says this should be a fairly straightforward
>> exercise. I am very happy to provide the necessary pointers to get the Jetty committers started.
>
> Glyn,
>
> Surely this effort should be undertaken by the Virgo (and/or Gemini) teams.

For Gemini and Virgo to support Jetty, two thin adapters need to be written which will require understanding of Gemini/Virgo and Jetty, so I would expect there to be collaboration between the teams, although who does what remains to be seen. The adapters will reside in Gemini and Virgo, so will be maintained by Virgo committers.

> The existing DM code uses felix and the proposal has correctly undertaken to
> do the work to migrate to use equinox.  Surely the proposal (and/or Gemini) should
> also undertake to provide the integration service with Jetty?

The Config Admin dependency, for example, currently provided by Felix should be trivial to provide from Equinox and with little or no externals change to dm Server. So essentially these dependencies are drop-in replacements for Felix bundles.

The servlet container, OTOH, has significant externals, particularly configuration, which are visible as externals of dm Server. So Virgo needs to support Tomcat, and continue to do so, in order to serve the needs of the existing dm Server user community. Regardless of who does the work, adding the Jetty adapters should IMO be a follow-on activity rather than a pre-req to donation.

> It would have been highly inappropriate if Virgo expected the equinox team to
> take on the extra effort to learn, implement, document and support the DM server.
> So why is it OK to expect the Jetty team to do the same?
>
> We can't have it that everytime a new project comes to rt, it is the responsibility
> of the existing projects to learn and integrate with the new project.
>

> regards

Regards,
Glyn