Re: [rt-pmc] FW: FW: RT whitepaper check in

My comments

- Have to distinguish between EclipseRT and the RT project.  the former is not a project but a movement.  The latter is a project but just one slice of EclipseRT. This is an EclipseRT whitepaper I think.  Sidenote:  This topic keeps coming up and it is going to get boring dealing with it. How are we going to reconcile it?

- Related, "available in Eclipse Runtime" should either be "... EclipseRT" or "... RT".  We don't really talk about "Runtime" (capital R).  RT is the project.  EclipseRT is the notion.

- The Lotus example is interesting.  Personally I find the NASA examples more compelling but YMMV

- First para page 2, the mention of the SDK here is confusing.  We'd probably do best to just not talk about tooling and EclipseRT unless it is explicitly tooling *for* a particular runtime technology.  Just sensitve to the whole, "Eclipse is an IDE" thing

- "Without solving the problem of frequent, small updates as p2 does, agile delivery
models just create more desktop management hassle for IT." is awkward.  Phrased in the negative it is hard to figure the real meaning.

- Para just before "Web Applications" section "The tooling to support..." could be a little more specific about EclipseRT technology is paired with first class tooling ...

- "RAP builds on the SWT Eclipse UI framework" ...RAP builds on SWT and the Eclipse UI framework

- "SMILA which can be used to interact with unstructured
data such as documents." that probably undersells SMILA as a semantic web infrastructure

- I like the "we have great tooling" drum but we may be beating it a little too much.  Every section talks about it. The thing about ElcipseRT (yes it has great tools) is that there is one programming model across all the different platforms.  You can reuse the tools, yes, but also the developer skill set, deployment technology, and actual components

- Might consider talking about Gemini

- IN the Platforms section it would likely be good to talk about NASA and Ensemble.  Check out the foreword to the RCP book for inspiration.

- As for coverage, it is hard but I'd like to see EclipseLink, BIRT and EMF get a some more love.  IMHO it is good to open people's eyes to EclipseRT being more than just the RT project stuff.

Jeff