Re: [rt-pmc] FW: FW: RT whitepaper check in

Ian,

Ian Skerrett wrote:
Scott,

Thanks for the feedback.
For point #1 if you want to send me some word, I am sure it would be useful.

For point #2, how does your support for the OSGi EE compare to the recently announced Gemini project?

ECF has been/will be implementing the OSGi EE specs having to do with RFC119/remote services (i.e. the things related to interprocess communication). Gemini seems to be focusing on several other EEG standards efforts that are not as far along (e.g. RFC 66, JDO, Blueprint, others)...and are not strictly related to remote services but rather are focused on other aspects of 'enterprise'...e.g. db/persistence, web container, j2ee interaction.

So I would summarize by saying that ECF is and will be focused on supporting the inter-process communication part of the work that the EEG is doing (only), while Gemini is focused on several of the other things the EEG is doing. We (ECF) are also interested parties for Gemini.

For point #3, I agree Equinox can be run on a server with no UI.  However, typically when people refer to a Web App they mean applications with render in a browser, hence the focus on RAP.

I think this is an incorrect (and perhaps somewhat outdated) notion of 'typical people for web app'. That is...yes sure the browser-based UI is a part of many webapps, but that's generally becoming less and less true (especially with soa, alternative/mobile clients, cloud computing, etc).

Also, RAP is but one technology available for creating Ajax browser-based UIs, and I don't think it represents the value of EclipseRT on the server to present it as the only alternative.

Scott

Back to the top