[rt-pmc] Eclipse and JSP

Given that the pressure has eased off on our needing jsp support for
bundling a distribution of jetty from eclipse, I wanted to now visit
the issue again from the PMC perspective.

In my opinion this pmc should recommend a jsp implementation for use
throughout the eclipse platform that meets muster from the IP
perspective and yet allows for users to patch if needed for core bug
fixes and extension points for those that need them.

As you are probably aware now, jetty has chosen the glassfish jasper
fork as the core source that we minorly patch and release artifacts
for use in jetty.  The CQ's related to this are pending now so that we
can review this approach and perhaps adopt a more eclipse wide
solution that more folks can make use of.

To that end my initial recommendation would be to have the glassfish
source that we use run through the IP process and then setup a project
in eclipse svn (org.eclipse.jsp under RT perhaps) that we then import
the source into and massage into the format we want.  I would be more
then happy to make sure these things could be built and deployed in
the existing maven infrastructure in the short term while the eclipse
organization comes to terms with how it will support maven projects
better, so long as someone else could volunteer to help in making the
eclipse orbit oriented artifacts as well.  With this sort of structure
in place I would suggest that we keep it incrementally updated with
new tags as glassfish folks patch and update their jasper fork until
such time there is some global unified effort to bring all the jasper
forks back under home, should that ever happen of course.

That is of course just my initial thought, I figure that now would be
the proper time and perhaps this is the right place to start this
discussion..

cheers!
jesse

--