Re: [rt-pmc] Swordfish Release

I am resending this note as I have now actually subscribed to the rt-dev mailing list.
--
The EMO, for one, will start digging deeper during release reviews.

FWIW, the 0.8.0 download also appears to contain some libraries for which I cannot find CQs.

Tooling sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure how we marry the CQ to the JAR, but it is worth exploring.

Wayne

Thomas Watson wrote:

I'm fine with waiting until EOB today.

What can be done to prevent this situation in the future? Perhaps some tooling would help catch third party jars in the build that are not approved by the IP team?

Tom

Inactive hide details for Jeff McAffer ---06/29/2009 09:07:43 AM---My mailer was hiding this message when I made my previous reJeff McAffer ---06/29/2009 09:07:43 AM---My mailer was hiding this message when I made my previous response...

My mailer was hiding this message when I made my previous response...

Thanks for the clarification Oliver.

>From the PMC point of view, this is fine. We do not speak for the IP team however and will defer to their risk assessment.

There is some question about the testedness of the release. For example, what was being tested prior to the release? What will have been thoroughly tested after the changes you propose here? As Swordfish is in incubation these concerns are not primary but it is still a topic to consider.

Jeff

Oliver Wolf wrote:

            Dear RT PMC Members,

            since this issue cannot wait until the July 15th, I’d like
            to give you an update on the current state of affairs:

            The Swordfish project is currently investigating the
            gaps/discrepancies regarding IP compliance in depth.
            It turns out that most of the third party contributions
            that have accidentally been included in the release
            without proper IP clearance can actually be removed
            without any impact on functionality. They have been pulled
            in as downstream dependencies of other 3rd party libs, but
            are purely optional and not critical for our purposes.
            Fortunately, these include the ones considered critical by
            the IP team (cglib, staxex, stax2).

            There are, however, some contributions remaining which are
            needed and don’t have corresponding CQs. Odds are good
            that these are exclusively originating from Apache
            licensed projects hosted at the Apache Foundation and can
            probably be considered comparatively low risk.

            We’re going to provide the findings of our investigation
            to the PMC for your attention by EOB today. If there are
            no objections from your side, we can further discuss the
            next steps here on the mailing list. If you feel that a
            phone conference would be more appropriate, please suggest
            a time and we’d be happy to accomodate.

            Regards,
            Oliver

            Am 29.06.09 11:45 schrieb "Christian Campo" unter
            _<christian.campo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>_
            <mailto:christian.campo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
                        Hi Ricco,

                        the plan was to skip the next RT PMC Call and
                        the next planned one is on the 15th of July.

                        christian campo