Re: [rt-pmc] Swordfish Release

I'm fine with waiting until EOB today.

What can be done to prevent this situation in the future? Perhaps some tooling would help catch third party jars in the build that are not approved by the IP team?

Tom

Inactive hide details for Jeff McAffer ---06/29/2009 09:07:43 AM---My mailer was hiding this message when I made my previous reJeff McAffer ---06/29/2009 09:07:43 AM---My mailer was hiding this message when I made my previous response...

Jeff McAffer <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

06/29/2009 09:07 AM

Re: [rt-pmc] Swordfish Release

My mailer was hiding this message when I made my previous response...

Thanks for the clarification Oliver.

>From the PMC point of view, this is fine. We do not speak for the IP team however and will defer to their risk assessment.

There is some question about the testedness of the release. For example, what was being tested prior to the release? What will have been thoroughly tested after the changes you propose here? As Swordfish is in incubation these concerns are not primary but it is still a topic to consider.

Jeff

Oliver Wolf wrote:
      Dear RT PMC Members,

      since this issue cannot wait until the July 15th, I’d like to give you an update on the current state of affairs:

      The Swordfish project is currently investigating the gaps/discrepancies regarding IP compliance in depth.
      It turns out that most of the third party contributions that have accidentally been included in the release without proper IP clearance can actually be removed without any impact on functionality. They have been pulled in as downstream dependencies of other 3rd party libs, but are purely optional and not critical for our purposes. Fortunately, these include the ones considered critical by the IP team (cglib, staxex, stax2).

      There are, however, some contributions remaining which are needed and don’t have corresponding CQs. Odds are good that these are exclusively originating from Apache licensed projects hosted at the Apache Foundation and can probably be considered comparatively low risk.

      We’re going to provide the findings of our investigation to the PMC for your attention by EOB today. If there are no objections from your side, we can further discuss the next steps here on the mailing list. If you feel that a phone conference would be more appropriate, please suggest a time and we’d be happy to accomodate.

      Regards,
      Oliver

      Am 29.06.09 11:45 schrieb "Christian Campo" unter