[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [List Home]
Re: [rt-pmc] Bundle major versions and project major release

I would like to follow up on/discuss this question a little bit.

Let's say a given project exposes 3 APIs: A, B, C. Assume all of these are non-provisional. Assume to start that all are at version 1.0.0. Assume also that the project is at version 1.0.0.

If the bundle(s) that constitute A go through a major upgrade, and A's version number changes to 2.0.0, while the other two go through minor upgrades (e.g. 1.1.0), what does this imply (or require) in terms of the project-level versioning? I understand that technically/API tools the project-level version can be anything the project wants, but as far as I've seen, no Eclipse project has (yet) had major version changes of individual bundles/APIs within a minor project-level version change (e.g. 1.1.0). I also understand that the typical is the reverse...i.e. the project-level version changes moving faster/larger than the bundle-level changes...but what, if any, conventions/rules exist around this situation?

Thanks,

Scott



Mark Rogalski wrote:

Whether a formal project release review is required depends on the version number of the project rather than it's content. I think the real question is whether the major upgrade of an internal bundle necessitates a change in the encompassing project's versioning. This probably needs to be determined on a case by case basis. Will the internal bundle upgrade break any compatibilities in ECF?
If not, then there is probably no need to wait for a major version change of ECF. If yes, then the extent of the incompatibilities need to be weighed.





*Markus Alexander Kuppe <rt-pmc_eclipse.org@xxxxxxxxxxx>* Sent by: rt-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/09/2009 10:30 AM
Please respond to
Runtime Project PMC mailing list <rt-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>


To rt-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx cc ecf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx Subject [rt-pmc] Bundle major versions and project major release









Hi rt-pmc,

during today's ECF con call the question came up if an increase of a
single bundle major version automatically and always causes the
requirement to do a project major release.

E.g. one example would be that at some points in time ECF definitely
wants to move upwards from jSLP [1] 1.0 to 2.0 (the fact that jSLP 2.0
is going to be hosted at Apache may be out of this scenario) which
probably won't be in sync with our "regular" release planing. So do we
have to postpone the bundle upgrade until we do ECF 4.0?

Cheers
Markus

[1] http://jslp.sf.net <http://jslp.sf.net/>
_______________________________________________
rt-pmc mailing list
rt-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx
https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/rt-pmc

------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
rt-pmc mailing list
rt-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx
https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/rt-pmc