Re: [rt-pmc] Bundle major versions and project major release

Whether a formal project release review is required depends on the version number of the project rather than it's content. I think the real question is whether the major upgrade of an internal bundle necessitates a change in the encompassing project's versioning. This probably needs to be determined on a case by case basis.  Will the internal bundle upgrade break any compatibilities in ECF?
If not, then there is probably no need to wait for a major version change of ECF. If yes, then the extent of the incompatibilities need to be weighed.

Markus Alexander Kuppe <rt-pmc_eclipse.org@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rt-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/09/2009 10:30 AM

Please respond to
Runtime Project PMC mailing list <rt-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>

rt-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
ecf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
[rt-pmc] Bundle major versions and project major release

Hi rt-pmc,

during today's ECF con call the question came up if an increase of a
single bundle major version automatically and always causes the
requirement to do a project major release.

E.g. one example would be that at some points in time ECF definitely
wants to move upwards from jSLP [1] 1.0 to 2.0 (the fact that jSLP 2.0
is going to be hosted at Apache may be out of this scenario) which
probably won't be in sync with our "regular" release planing. So do we
have to postpone the bundle upgrade until we do ECF 4.0?

Cheers
Markus

[1]
http://jslp.sf.net