Re: [rt-pmc] Target Provisioning

The RAP team was using the old metadata generator which does not have
p2.inf support.  They switched to the publisher (all the cool kids are
doing it...) and are happy now.
I am obviously also not very cool (and no one told me how to be cool :-) ) because I used the Eclipse metadata generator just this morning. And I am not sure where that information is there to read. David Williams (who is running the build in Galileo) just gave me a hint that I had to use the metadata generator after the sign process just last week. So information what is cool and what is not, gets easily lost. The note to the wiki page that marks the metadata generator as deprecated was added 5 minutes ago by the RAP team. They lost a day searching for that p2.inf thing and I would have never found out. We can do a lot better.
Christian, you are very cool!

You are right that the doc around this can be a lot better. I believe that htere has been quite a bit of movement on this in the past few days. Obviously the wiki was not part of that attention. As for Galileo, I'm pretty sure that they are using the publisher but that is worth confirmation.
While I think (hope) I get the idea what you are saying, I have to admit that you loose me half way which I believe is part of the problem. Non-p2 people (like me) dont know what the slicer and other "things" are and its hard for them to understand where the problems comes from. So the target provisioning in 3.5. for them is more of a black box that either works or it doesnt. I totally agree that we are moving in the right direction with metadata management and all the other cool features in p2.
yes. I included the information about the planner and slicer specifically for completeness so that the technical audience of this list would start to get some idea of the technologies etc under the covers. Not because it is improtant but rather so that communication between the RT leaders and the PDE team etc could be increased. When talking to random users this is unnecessary detail.

Jeff

Back to the top