[rt-pmc] RE: SMILA check-in at Eclipse

Hi Wayne, hi Barb, hi Jeff, hi Jochen

Thank you Wayne for your time and your answer. Please have a look at Waynes mail.

@Jeff and Jochen: Do we have your OK to proceed with check-in for our code. I need this for our project partners at Theseus and for internal reasons (I must soon prepare a commercial distribution and get in a feature race there). Open and Eclipse based interfaces will help us on those two points. Our code may be uncompileable due to some unfinished CQs. The code we would like to check-in has passed CQ process and is accepted as ready for check-in.

We already invested a man year work in the IP process and if I change focus of some members of the team some of these investments may be lost or at least get at risk.

Further I somehow need a way to communicate to our project partners at Theseus. And code is a great opportunity to do those communication.

We have the SMILA project advertised as a base technology for a government project called Theseus http://theseus-programm.de/ (members e.g. SAP, DFKI, Fraunhofer, Siemens, Empolis, The national library...). Within this project SMILA will be used as platform for a SME contest on knowledge management.

@Barb:
For the build process.

Which real blockers do we have? When we avoid adding any build scripts to Eclipse repositories. I think in such a case we would not violate any IP point if doing a check-in based on #1. We could describe a build by documentation (and optionally link to an external build script). There would not be a violation from my point of view, because there is no relationship to Eclipse. Eclipse just provides some bundles. These bundles are incomplete. We would just have a documentation in the WIKI and some parts at our servers.

As far as I understood from Sebastin, there are projects that are using LGPL libraries. These libraries are available at external servers. I would generally compare such a case to our situation.

ODE has four rejected libraries (1x Jaxen and 3x Saxen). These libs are samples for required dependencies of an extreme vital component. The Berkeley DB (currently in IP process) is another vital component. Can we somehow get an arrangement similar to the project that is hosting these LGPL licenses externally? What would we have to do? Currently I have started a discussion with the ODE team about getting an option to get jaxen or saxen as optional component running in their system (BTW: ODE is also important for Swordfish). So we do something on this part.

But how can we go on moving? I somehow need to be able to proceed.

Kind Regards,

Georg