Re: [rmf-dev] Fwd: Re: Some questions towards RMF release

Hi Ed,

first, are you subscribed to rmf-dev, or should I continue to CC you?

Regarding your answer to Lukas' question, let me elaborate a bit:

I think the version number of your bundles is very important to your clients.  It's a statement about the API.

I agree, as far as plugin and feature versions are concerned, but how about project versions?  RMF consists of five features, each with its respective plugins.  The feature version numbers will inevitable diverge (e.g., 1.2.3 -> 1.3.0 or 1.2.4?).  Eventually, the project version number would become fairly arbitrary.

The version number Lukas is referring to is essentially a label that defines an internal release.  As a such a release is defined by its release date, the reasoning was that it would be useful to make the date part of the label.

Once we join the Eclipse release train, we would use the labels provided by Eclipse (e.g. "Juno M5").  Until then, I would consider date-based release numbers quite useful.

I think a big part of the confusion stems from the terminology.  "Milestone" and "Release Candidate" have well-defined meanings within the Eclipse ecosystem.  What Lukas referred to as "Milestones" are actually internal project releases that are tied to our scrum-based iteration cycles.

So the real question is: If you would not recommend the proposed naming scheme, how should we form the project's version number instead?

Best,

- Michael

-------- Original-Nachricht --------