Von: riena-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:riena-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] Im Auftrag von Campo, Christian
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 10. Februar 2011 14:29
An: Riena Developers list
Betreff: [riena-dev] GIT for Riena (committer vote)

Hi Riena committers,

YES, this is the GIT question :-). We never discussed this in the past, but I'd like to get an overview over the current "feelings" among the committers about Git für Riena. Should we move to Git, should we postphone it for another year (or some time). There is no urgency to move to Git, but as I currently see that some committers in Riena are working on several topics at the same time, it would certainly help them and make things easier for them if they could easily switch between topic branches for example.

Here is a very nice blogpost on Git and that stuff http://alblue.bandlem.com/2011/02/someday.html "Someday..."

On the other hand, there is a learning curve with Git that all have. And there is als a EGit plugin that we have to get used too that is getting better every month.

If we move, we dont move before after Indigo Release. Not before July 2011 and not before EGit 1.0 is out, which I believe is planned for Indigo. And I also believe that we need an unanimous opinion on this, which mean ALL committers must vote and they all have to vote +1.

Still its a vote, so its completly good and ok, if somebody does not want or does not feel too sure about it, then I ask again in 6 month or so. So feel free to vote 0 or -1, thats completly ok.

There is a current state of Riena as Git repo that you can find here http://dev.eclipse.org/git/index.html, but its a readonly repo. Still you can clone it and play with it, do local committs.

If and only it we move to Git, we keep our CVS history but there is no turning back. So we cant go back to CVS if we dont like Git. On the other hand Git is used by so many people and I personnally use it in other projects and it has some really nice features that CVS does not have.

So please cast your vote.....

christian
compeople AG
Untermainanlage 8
60329 Frankfurt/Main
fon: +49 (0) 69 / 27 22 18 0
fax: +49 (0) 69 / 27 22 18 22
web: http://www.compeople.de/

Vorstand: Jürgen Wiesmaier
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Christian Glanz

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Frankfurt/Main
Handelsregister Frankfurt HRB 56759
Ust-Ident.-Nr: DE207665352