Re: [remus-dev] [Remus] - Confirmation of SourceCode Contribution

Hi Andreas,

Damn, you’ve got long vacations ;)

For the committer agreement, can you ask the emo team (emo@xxxxxxxxxxx) how to proceed with the issue, that you want to register as individual committer, I’m pretty sure that this is possible, but I don’t know the details. Although you don’t have so much time for working on the project I’d prefer you as a committer, not a contributor. As a contributor you also have to do the whole paperwork (the agreements) but you don’t have any write-access to the repository, that means you have to attach patches to a bug, which is not very comfortable, IMHO. Everything becomes easier if you’re a committer, and it is not relevant (at least for me) how much time you work on different issues.

For the architecture. You’re observation is correct, I’ve splitted the sources:

-          The framework to build applications for information units

-          A collection of information units and connectors

The reason for that is an organizational one: The information units and connectors tend to use a lot of third-party-bundles which can change very often (especially for connectors) – e.g. the twitter api changes every 2 month. If we host this connectors at eclipse.org referencing or updating a third-party-bundle requires the whole review-process of the Eclipse IP Team. Additionally these bundles are typically not made to be consumed as base for another application. Another thing is that we don’t get the icons approved, but I love these icons and think they’re very important for a good user-acceptance (there are not good free icons available). I think this separation is also good to separate the user-base. The eclipse.org code is used for other developers which want to build applications based on that framework, The other sources, hosted at sourceforge are for the non-techis which want to use the built product. My hope is to attract developers inside the Eclipse community to get the underlying components (like the synchronization) more stable.

I’ve updated all information types and connectors at sourceforge; they are all referencing now the org.eclipse.remus bundles, so you can already test and If you find bugs (I remember that you had issues with the synchronization) you can open a bug at bugs.eclipse.org and attach a patch.

Cheerz

Tom