Re: [recommenders-dev] GSoC news reader

Hi,
yes I'm familiar with RSS view, we've made some changes based on RSS view. Our goal is not to copy its functionality, however some parts of the code could be reused in our project, but as you said we'd need an EPL license. It gives me a fine example how it could look like and what feature we can implement.

Regards.
Pawel Nowak

Hey Wim,

thanks for the pointers. It took me a while to dig in deeper and to built a better vision how the integration into the IDE should look like. As you might sensed already, we don’t have plans to built feature-complete RSS news reader like RSS Owl [1]. [2], however, is coming close to what, I think, is needed. FWIW, the (only) major difference to Junginger’s UI is the notification mechanism we plan to support. Despite that we’ll be close to this UI.

One thought: I’ve the feeling that reusing Junginger’s code won’t give us much - especially we'd need an EPL compatible license and the whole IP review. If you think we should reuse that code, please follow up.

Regarding the Aware Workbench.
It looks like that the idea did not lift of yet, right? If there is some progress, I’d be happy to reevaluate to see whether we could contribute to it or reuse parts of it.

Regarding ECF forum integration:
I’m not sure I get the proposal. Do you think we could implement an RSS parser based on ECF? Or would this fit well with the Aware Workbench concept? Or is it just to make us aware of both? It the latter, than thank you :-) For the former I’d like to get little more details to understand the proposal.

Pawel,
I guess you had a look at [1a] already? The view looks clean to me and the preference page is largely what we discussed - although we planned less functionality in there for now.

Thanks,
Marcel