[recommenders-dev] [GSoC] Approved data collection weekly report

Hi,

this is the weekly report or the GSoC project eclipse approved data collection [1]

Project short description: In order to understand how and for which reasons developers are using Eclipse, many Plug-ins want to collect some usage data. The main problem with any data collection technology is privacy, therefore plugins should ask for approval before collecting usage data. The goal of this project is to collect such user approval before sending the data to any external server. Any operation that uploads data must be “opt-in”.

New implemented features:

Last week i have refactored the popup dialog to look like the preference page (see attached screenshots). I have also refactored the PrivacySettingsService to allow suggesting decision on the basis of already approved/disapproved permissions.

The Code is pushed into Gerrit and waiting for approval. Once approved, you can install the new version of the privacy framework from the update site [2].

Then i have started with changing the PrivacySettingsService to a Declarative Service to be injected but i am facing some problems there.

Tasks for the next week:

I will continue working on the PrivacySettingsService, then i will implement  suggesting decision to the user when a new permission is detected.

If you have any question or any description above is not clear enough, don’t hesitate to contact me.

Looking forward to receiving your comments and feedback,

Yasser.

[1]http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/public/google/gsoc2014/y_aziza/5629499534213120

[2]http://download.eclipse.org/recommenders.incubator/privacy/updates/head/