Re: [recommenders-dev] gitignore not ignoring project files

Hi Ayudh,

While certain git commands(i. e. rebase) fail with unstaged files, commit isn't one of them.
So feel free to commit changes with unstaged .project files.

Johannes

Ayudh Das schrieb:
Thanks Andreas

You mean to say that while making any commits all I have to do is to ignore these .project files? Correct me if I am wrong. Doesn't commit fail if you have unstaged files?

Thanks

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 8:28 PM, Andreas Sewe <andreas.sewe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hallo,

> Sorry for asking so many questions.

no problem; that's what this list is for.

> The eclipse project files (.project) are getting changed during the
> import as eclipse maven project. But they shouldn't bother as .project
> files are in .gitignore. But still, on git status the following message
> arrives.

You are right. Our primary project metadata is in the pom.xml files,
from which m2e derives Eclipse's .project file.

This works fine -- for most of our projects...

> # On branch experiment
> # Changes not staged for commit:
> #   (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
> #   (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working
> directory)
> #
> #modified:   tests/org.eclipse.recommenders.calls.rcp.tests/.project
> #modified:   tests/org.eclipse.recommenders.completion.rcp.tests/.project
> #modified:   tests/org.eclipse.recommenders.rcp.tests/.project
> #modified:   tests/org.eclipse.recommenders.tests/.project
> #
> no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")

The above four projects contain Xtend code (which we sometimes use to
write tests in).

Unfortunately, Xtend does not yet have a decent m2e connector which
tells m2e how to keep the .project in sync with the pom.xml.

> what shall i do, so that i don't end up making commits which are not
> needed, and may end up polluting the source tree.

Just don't add the four .project files to your Git index and you should
be fine.

Hope this helps.

Andreas

--