Re: [recommenders-dev] Eclipse Code Recommenders - Extenders

Hi Amandeep.

> I'm trying to build eclipse code recommenders plugin from source. I
> followed this method[1]
> Since the projects were showing many maven related issues, I tried
> updating them through maven > update , as a result I got
> errors(screenshot attached [1.png])

OK, these errors are apparently due to the m2e connector for the
maven-checkstyle-plugin:

> Unable to update Maven configuration
> Could not get configured mojo for org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-checkstyle-plugin:2.10:check {execution: check-coding-conventions}
> Plugin org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-checkstyle-plugin:2.10 or one of its dependencies could not be resolved: Failure to find org.eclipse.recommenders:coding-conventions:jar:2.0.5-SNAPSHOT in http://repository.apache.org/snapshots was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of apache.snapshots has elapsed or updates are forced

Said connector tries to configure the Checkstyle *Eclipse* plugin such
that its configuration matches that of the Checkstyle *Maven* plugin.
But apparently, it cannot handle the case where the Checkstyle
configuration is kept in the Eclipse workspace; instead, it tries to
download from a remote repository (where it cannot be found). I'll look
into this and probably file a bug at the m2e-code-quality project
responsible for the connector [1]. (There is already a related issue: [2])

For the moment, try to uninstall the "Checkstyle configuration for
M2Eclipse" plugin (and with it the "Eclipse Checkstyle plugin").
Alternatively, upon import, do not install the connector for the
maven-cehckstyle-plugin (see attached screenshot).

I took the latter route, then set my target platform to kepler, and all
errors (except one "plugin execution not covered by lifecycle" in the
repository-resources project, which I will take care of right now) were
gone. :-)

> Also there's an error in package declarations of some projects. Am I
> supposed to rectify them myself or there's a mistake while importing
> them.(screenshot attached [2.png])

The projects should not show any errors (but see above), only some
warnings. But if you look closely at your screenshot, you will see that
it shows suspicious package names like
"src.org.eclipse.recommenders.rcp". Apparently, the fact that "src" is
the project's source folder got lost somehow.  Try "Build path > Use as
source folder" from the "src" folder's context menu to fix this manually.

Or simply delete all projects and (after uninstalling "Checkstyle
configuration for M2Eclipse") re-import. That worked for me.

> Also I'll be thankful if somoeone could advice me on how to start/think
> to contribute to code recommenders and in what direction should I go to
> understand the code well.

Not sure whether you are familiar with the Code Recommenders Incubator
already [3]. There, you find a couple of projects which are still in
their early stages and thus could especially benefit from contributors.
But of course, also Code Recommenders proper is always in need of a
helping hand.

Maybe you can tell us a bit about yourself and where your interests lie?
(From UI-programming to machine-learning tasks, Code Recommenders has a
lot to offer.)

Hope this helps,

Andreas

[1] <https://github.com/m2e-code-quality/m2e-code-quality>