Re: [recommenders-dev] server-side storage

Honestly, I think we are speaking about the same thing but are just one thought away from each other ;)

I think of repositories like this:

PNG image

There is one top-level interface and many different providers. One like the current online/remote provider snipmatch already has, another one is the git provider, and a third one might be the CDO online repository - whatever you can think of.

These engines are all configured in the Eclipse preferences:

PNG image

Each provider can be enabled, disabled and configured as needed. If enabled, it is used for search. We may restrict the system to "only one provider at a time" to make things easier in the beginning.

But here you (hopefully) see why I think we are speaking about the same things. The provider details view is provider specific and can contain arbitrary settings. It may contain the URL of one or many git repositories to pull - or - may contain settings how to access snipmatch's remote server. It's just a matter of configuration.

So summarizing I'm saying: Git is one (THE default) provider code recommenders comes with. Others may follow or may be developed on demand.

Does your idea of "remote search" fit into this model somehow?

On 08.03.2012, at 04:45, Chen Cheng wrote:

> Okay, let's forget about current " remote search directly" module, do we reach agreement at this point? Your idea, Marcel?

Back to the top