Re: [recommenders-dev] Snipmatch GSOC was: How to start with Recommender's source code

On 20.02.2012, at 08:56, chen cheng wrote:

EGit in included in Eclipse 4, use Git as snippet repositories seems to be a good idea. I agree with this solution.

Users can even set up sync client side snippet repositories with server side automatically or manually. In automatically mode, we use a thread to sync for users, in manul mode, user sync and update/commit snippet by themselves. But we should notice that, there are two kinds of snippet repositories in server side: Common repositories and Personal repositories.

exactly. people have their own repos. "group" repositories might be possible on top of this.

1.Common repositories is used by all the SnipMatch users, they can only update from remote server as they like, but they can not submit freely. How can users contribute common snippets ? May be we should formulate a rule or something.

There the webservice comes into play. or we allow registered users to create and edit new files. Finally, it's version controlled. So we might rollback these changes easily. But there is some kind of trust involved. Same as with Eclipse Wiki pages (and if I got Wayne's tweets right), there are spammers too. This will become an issue. But not yet, I think :)

2.Personal repositories is distinguished by user id, user can submit or update in/from remote server as he like.

exactly.

If Marcel can build a search engine base on Lucene and GIT file system, it is perfect.

Nothing simpler than that :)

About snippet storage format, one snippet one file, named with its description ?

Simple formats can be: JSON or any arbitrary text format/markup. If we manage to create a lightweight grammar, we can even provide simple and fast editors with Xtext (although I wouldn't spent too much time on this detail yet).

Organized by category directory ? It seems there may be much small files, very slow to load all these files, open close,open close ...

I think, organization by category only makes sense if 1 category is permitted. Actually, I think a snippet has many tags, comments etc. Thus, I'd stick with one directory with all files. Regarding performance: The search index will filter what's needed. There is no need to load hundreds of files. Also, you OS does a lot of caching. I think, this will not become a bottleneck. But others may prove me wrong here.

But let's  hide the store behind some slim interface, make the implementation interchangeable, and go for a local file system approach first?