Re: [rdf4j-dev] OWL Reasoning

Hi Matthew,

I’m not aware of any work done to try to integrate RDF4J with a full blown OWL reasoner.

When I was a student I played with Pellet and HermiT. I also looked into OWL API, which is a Java library for interacting with those reasoners. Bridging OWL API and RDF4J is probably the easiest way to go.

I wouldn’t really recommend an OWL reasoner. We tried to use the query rewriting OWL reasoner of Stardog in a big project, but performance was so bad that we ended up scrapping everything except for RDFS. It also looks like the new kid on the block, RDFox, prefers rules to OWL. From what I can deduce they don’t actually support OWL directly but instead translate it to rules, which means that the most they can support is OWL 2 RL.

I’ve actually only ever heard of a single successful project using OWL. That is a project at Aibel to model piping on an oil platform.

Cheers,
Håvard