Re: [rdf4j-dev] Split RDF4J Project

> On 28 Aug 2017, at 23:39, James Leigh <james.leigh@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to split the main github project into a four smaller ones.
>
> RDF4J is already separated into modules. However, any small change
> takes time to go through verification stages. This creates a barrier to
> entry for contributions that encourages shortcuts. Currently it takes
> over an hour to verify the distribution. By splitting the project up
> the verification phase can be more focused and modular.

I like the idea of splitting the project into separate repos, though for me the main motivation would be to eventually allow separate release cycles for the libraries vs tools (workbench, server, etc). But yeah, getting verification to a manageable size is definitely a bonus.

> I propose the following setup:
>
> * /rdf4j           rio, repository-api, and http client

> * /rdf4j-storage   repository-sail, and all sail impls
> * /rdf4j-tools     server, workbench, console, runtime, bom, assembly
> * /rdf4j-testsuite benchmark and testsuites
> * /rdf4j-doc       remains the home of documentation guides

I assume sail-api will also be in /rdf4j? And what about the modules you haven’t mentioned, such as the query parser api + impls, the query algebra, queryrender, spin, and queryresultio? I assume most/all of these would remain in the /rdf4j repo?

> Compliance tests would be split up into the corresponding module. Each
> github project would be a fork of the current and each would have
> master/develop branches and each would be setup to be built nightly.
>
> Issues and Pull-Requests would also be separated, but github allows
> referencing issues and PRs in separate projects to aid with
> integration.
>
> Thoughts?

I think it’s a good idea. A lot of work to set up though.

Cheers,

Jeen

Back to the top