Re: [rdf4j-dev] Next patch release and new committers

James. Here is the code for rebasing and signing off all the commits. https://gist.github.com/nh2/66e1cd83a86da7fe43b1

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Håvard Ottestad <hmottestad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 1:58 PM, James Leigh <james.leigh@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please see my comments below.

On Wed, 2017-05-03 at 13:14 +1000, Jeen Broekstra wrote:

> > On 3 May 2017, at 10:43, James Leigh <james.leigh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> >
> > In other projects I have worked one we adopted the practise of using
> > two
> > active branches (one for patch releases and the other for new
> > features).
> > When a PR is created it is targeted to one of these two branches
> > depending on whether it is a bug fix or a new feature. This way both
> > branches are always in a release ready state (patch release ready
> > and
> > minor release ready). I have documented how RDF4J could adopt this
> > process here[1]. The major difference is that every PR is scheduled
> > for
> > release before it is merged.
> >

> We actually did that previously as well, but the problem is that we
> get many Pull Requests by non-committer contributors who don’t know
> what branch to target their PR against and/or start off their fix from
> the wrong source branch.
>

> Github doesn’t allow you to change the target branch for a PR, so we’d
> end up having to ask the submitter to close the PR and create a new
> one for the correct branch. And if they used the wrong source branch
> for their fix it’s even harder to get things to align, they'd have to
> rebase. In short: painful.
>

> The current workflow is adopted with the idea to make it easy for
> occasional contributors: they can just always use the master branch.
> Indirectly that also makes it easier for us as lead committers: it
> creates a bit more work when release time looms, but it saves us
> having to explain these things to contributors every time and wait for
> them to fix their PRs.
>

> For some historical context, see the discussion we had about this on
> issue https://github.com/eclipse/rdf4j/issues/266 .

GitHub has since added the feature to anyone with correct permissions to
change the target branch of PRs. It is behind the Edit button of the PR
title. Therefore, I think it is time we revisited the workflow.

James