Re: [rdf4j-dev] Next patch release and new committers

This sounds good.

James??? Should we try to coordinate a bit?

Håvard

On 12 Apr 2017, at 08:48, Jeen Broekstra <jeen.broekstra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi folks,

We have a flurry of bug fixes ongoing, which is great.

Currently, we have no date set for the next patch release (2.2.1). I’d like to propose that we actually wait with doing a patch release until both Havard and James are fully set up as committers. I’d like to run through prepping a release together with both of you, so that in future they can happen without me, when needed.

However, we have some pretty decent documentation on the workflow available: http://docs.rdf4j.org/developer/#_patch_releases

Havard, James, if you feel up to it, you could together already have a look at prepping a release branch, and cherrypicking the fixes that should go into it. If at all possible it’d also be great if you could keep track of which issues go in by updating the relevant GitHub issue milestone (https://github.com/eclipse/rdf4j/milestones), and the GitHub ‘patch release’ project board (https://github.com/eclipse/rdf4j/projects/3) as well. Keep in mind that only bug fixes can go in, and even then only if they’re fully backward compatible.

Btw the way I use the project board is mainly for keeping track what needs to be cherrypicked for the release. ‘ToDo’ is everything we want in the release (so this should be all issues on the 2.2.1 milestone), and I use “In Progress” and “Done” columns to track progress of the actual cherry-picking, marking it done once it’s merged in and tests on the branch succeed.

The milestone, in contrast, is used to keep track of the actual release of RDF4J in which an issue got fixed, so it’s important to have that correct, also for generating release notes,

Sing out if anything is unclear, or if you have suggestions for an easier approach. I am on holiday for the next two weeks, and I will likely have very little access to a computer or e-mail in that time, but if I can, I’ll try and respond.

Cheers,

Jeen