[rap-dev] RAP & CometD for real time web

hi all,
I am very new to RAP having only found out about it last night so please forgive me if my questions don't appear to be too relevant.

I am very curious about RAP specifically for the possibility of building dual target rich internet applications re-using Eclipse RCP code.

I have read about the half-object RAP protocol and found it very interesting.

I have read that it's based on JSON and I have seen examples about the JSON messages but I couldn't find anything on the type of transport used by RAP _javascript_ GUIs to communicate with their servers.

I assume that it's a variation of HTTP (XHR?) and I am interested in how and if the procotol covers server to web client data push.

I am asking this question because I am quite familiar with CometD, a Java framework that implements the Bayeux protcol leveraging some bits of Jetty.
CometD provides a very fast and efficient way to implement server-to-web push.
The protocol is message based (not request reply) and it works with a number of transport level protocols such as HTTP Long Polling and WebSockets.
It uses JSON as a message representation format.
It has a Java and _javascript_ client side libraries - the latter automatically chooses the best transport available trying to use WebSockets if the browser supports it.

This is a very long shot but I had the feeling that RAP and CometD together would be very fantastic.
This is a statement made without knowing much about RAP so please take it for what it's worth.

Is there a way to plug in different transports / protocols in RAP?

Any comments on this would be really appreciated.

thanks,
Michele

Back to the top