Re: [rap-dev] Git Timeline

Hi Austin,

I can't wait to move over to Git, I think we're all eager to change.
Unfortunately, the EGit tooling is not as mature as the CVS team
stuff, especially when it comes to synchronization, which is IMHO the
most critical step in the workflow. Another problem I see is that we
might lose some folks who are now working with RAP from CVS and aren't
yet familiar with Git. To my knowledge there is no easy way to fake a
CVS from a Git repository. So we should discuss this change on the
newsgroup and announce the change early.

My suggestion would be to wait until after the Indigo release. Until
then EGit has hopefully become usable. And if we really start working
on a version 2.0 then, wouldn't it be perfect to start this work in a
brand new Git repo and keep 1.x in CVS?

Since you asked, would you like to open a bug to track progress on that?

BTW, I just found this Git Migration Guide in the wiki:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Git/Migrating_to_Git

Ralf