Re: [rap-dev] Request timeout problems

Hi again Igor,

I don't see any obvious problems with your change.
What needs to be ensured, is that the return value from UICallBackServiceHandler#jsUICallBack() contains
"org.eclipse.swt.Request.getInstance().enableUICallBack();"
(the then-branch of the if-statement gets executed)
Otherwise the callback mechanism would be interrupted.

Note that the change in a sensitive area that isn't completely covered by unit tests. We can't (yet) test the interaction between client and server. Therefore, test thoroughly before going productive.

However I am hesitant integrating this change in RAP since I am not aware that this a broader use case.

BTW can't you just re-configure the application server?

Cheers,
Rüdiger

mail.apptech.nichost.ru wrote:
Hi

I have a problem with UICallBackServiceHandler.

As you know, UICallBackServiceHandler#service method calls
UICallBackManager.getInstance().blockCallBackRequest() wich blocks itself
until the server requires UI updates. But some application servers (like
WebSphere) have a group of settings for managing request timeouts (Object
Request Broker in WebSphere, for example). So the application server can
terminate such request by timeout.

I used a simple fix: I changed in UICallBackManager.blockCallBackRequest()
"runnablesLock.wait();" to
"runnablesLock.wait(MAX_REQUEST_TIME);". I also added a constant
MAX_REQUEST_TIME = 10000

And it is working fine. But I have a question: is there any code that
depends on UICallBackManager state? I am not sure that my fix is correct. If
it is incorrect, could you please describe problems that I can get with my
fix? I will try to solve them.

If this fix is correct and somebody interesting in such functionality, I
think it is possible to made additional system setting or something like
this to allow programmers writing applications wich should not lose
connection to server where opened in browser.

Thank you,
Igor