Re: AW: [rap-dev] Is RAP sufficient to build web-based IDEs?

Wrapping FCKEditor in an Qooxdoo/RAP widget should not be the most problematic part. I think the biggest problem is to map the functionalities of StyledText to the features of FCKEditor and vice versa. I see the point that a standalone rich text editor is needed but in my eyes the StyledText widget is much more desirable. The first step here would be to see if the features of FCKEditor and StyledText can be mapped in most points.

Another thing to consider is the complexity of the widget. FCKEditor not only has some nice rich text functions but also many many other features like file upload, css classes, toolbars and so on. So the first step would be to determinate how to split the FCKEditor to only use the rich text component. Maybe the editor is already built with such a fine-grained modularity.

I had some thoughts about this some time ago and another real killer feature would be to have something like a patch-engine behind the scenes (on both sides) so we only need to transfer the changes in the text and not the whole text from server to client and v.v..

Contributing such a thing also requires some legal reviews. As I can see FCKEditor is licenced under GPL, LGPL and MPL and at the moment I'm not sure if this is compilant with EPL. This means that using FCKEditor as rich text component in RAP is only possible IF the licences work together, if not we could only host the EPL part (the wrapper).

I'm really looking forward for contributions. I'm sure the community could effort something like that and it would be great as daily RAP users to give something back to the project :)

Greets
 Benny

Stefan Roeck wrote:
Hello Lars,

do you plan to contribute your FCK-Wrapper classes to the RAP sandbox or share it in some way? I'm sure there are a lot of people who are interested in that (including me :-)).

Regards,
Stefan.