RE: [rap-dev] Is RAP sufficient to build web-based IDEs?

>From my point of view StyledText is a serious problem right now. But richer client technology and better scalability of the browser runtimes may cure that problem within a year or two. I think the other problems can be resolved. It is important to note that you want to make sure that your core bundles are multi-session ready.

I can imagine having a "development server" where the tools run directly on the server with multiple users working on the same projects / models. But getting there is not our main focus at the moment. If you are interested in driving this forward let us know.

Jochen

-----Original Message-----
From: rap-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rap-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Frank Appel
Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2008 3:58 PM
To: RAP project development-related communication
Subject: AW: [rap-dev] Is RAP sufficient to build web-based IDEs?

Hi,

I think there are a good deal of problems to solve. The first one you mentioned already - StyledText. I didn't do too much research, but I think this alone will be a bunch of work to do. A text editor also does a lot of things from which I would suggest that the implementation makes heavy use of key-events. It's at least questionable if we can provide a key-event implementation that scales on such a usecase. Last thing that comes into my mind by doing a little brainstorming is that eclipse uses the workspace for file storage, but with RAP the workspace is shared across the sessions.

Ciao
Frank