From: rap-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rap-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Ralf Sternberg
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 6:06 PM
To: RAP project development-related communication
Subject: Re: [rap-dev] Documentation

Hi,

Benjamin Muskalla schrieb:
> 1) @since tags. At the moment we have about 60 wrong since tags in
RWT.
> If nobody cares I'll replace them with @since 1.0.
> What should we do with the tags in JFace, Workbench, Databinding, etc.

> Leave them as is or have them in sync with the RAP release? In my eyes

> we should keep them as is to avoid too much confusion.

It think that also for Workbench, JFace etc., RAP devs are more
interested in the RAP version in which a certain method was adopted by
RAP. If someone wants to know when a certain method appeared in the
original JFace, Workbench, etc. code, he would look it up in the
original sources.

To prevent confusion, I'd even prefer "@since RAP1.0" tags. According to
the Javadoc style guide [1], we were not the first who used this
notation:

   The convention once was "@since JDK1.2" but because this is a
   specification of the Java Platform, not particular to the Sun JDK or
   SDK, we have dropped "JDK".

BTW, this document also recommends the practice suggested by Benny the
other day:

   When a class (or interface) is introduced, specify one @since tag in
   its class description and no @since tags in the members. Add an
@since
   tag only to members added in a later version than the class. This
   minimizes the number of @since tags.

[1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/javadoc/writingdoccomments/

Ralf