Re: [rap-dev] Differences between RAP and Eclipse source

With the move to the org.eclipse.ui.* and org.eclipse.swt.* namespaces, the PDE incubation project "API Tools" could get really interesting. See http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/PDE_UI_Incubator_ApiTools_Compare for more informations.

Cheers
Benny

Benjamin Muskalla wrote:
Hi Jochen,

thanks for the answers. My next question would be how your workflow looks like. As you mentioned the copy-and-paste approach, I've an idea about the whole thing I want to share with the RAP devs:

What about writing a little plugin based on JDT which compares two plugins on their API level. I think about usage of the JDT AST to compare the methods and their corresponding JavaDoc and set markers in the RAP projects if there is something missing which is already available in SWT/Workbench projects. I think with such a tool, the migration to the 3.3 codebase could be done a little easier too.

It would be great to have some feedback on this. At the moment, I've some time left and could try to implement such a "API compatibility tool" for the RAP project to easier maintain the RAP and RWT code.

Greets
Benny

Jochen Krause wrote:
Hi Benny,

We are not happy with the copy and paste approach that we have to pursue
right now and hope that we can implement a better solution in the
future. Moving to the same namespaces is a serious step into this
direction. In the meantime I agree that we should offer full API doc to
the complete subset of API that we provide. We will take care of this
issue when we move to the 3.3 code base in the M4 milestone timeframe.

Cheers,

Jochen