Re: [ptp-user] C/C++ indexer for large software packets

Christoph,

Do you get the same behavior if the project is not synchronized (i.e. a regular C/C++ project)? If so, I would suggest posting this to the CDT forum, as they will be best able to answer questions about the indexer.

Regards,
Greg

On Mar 26, 2015, at 5:30 PM, Christoph Pospiech <cpospiech@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thursday 26 March 2015 22:12:02 Dr. Christoph Pospiech wrote:
> Hi,
>
> presumably this is a known problem. I have a C++ project with an enormous
> amount  of sources. Every now and then - for instance, when I change the
> active synchronization host - the C/C++ indexer is set loose which brings
> any  development work nearly to a standstill for something like a quarter
> to half an hour.
>
> I have a "progress view" open, so I can see a progress bar advancing to the
> right. But  hitting that red "cancel" button doesn't seem to have any
> effect, at least not immediately.
>
> Is there any way to tame that C/C++ indexer, perhaps
> suspending or renice-ing it ?

Well, I found some sort of solution -
Window -> Preferences -> C/C++ -> Indexer
* untick automatic indexing.
* untick "index source files not included in the build"
* untick "index unused headers"

Can anyone explain me why you would index ... and re-index ...
and re-index again and again ... source and header files
that are currently not used ?

I was including "boost 1.57.0" with zillions of class templates,
but my code only used a small subset of it - but apparently
*everything* in reach was indexed !
--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Dr. Christoph Pospiech
High Performance & Parallel Computing
Phone: +49-351 86269826
Mobile: +49-171-765 5871
Attention: Effective January 1st, 2015 I'm transitioning to Lenovo.
My new Email address will be: cpospiech@xxxxxxxxxx