Re: [ptp-user] Problems with sdm/ptp debugger

Christoph,

Debugging Open MPI 1.8 programs using the Luna version of PTP does not work due to some changes they made. The fix should be in the 8.1.0 build that will be released with Luna SR1 at the end of the month. If you want to try it out you can update your PTP installation from here: http://download.eclipse.org/tools/ptp/builds/8.1.0

Once you’ve done this, remove the .eclipsesettings directory from your home directory and try debugging again. Note that you must use both the sdm and the rms/OPENMPI/start_job.pl script that come with this version for it to work.

Regards,
Greg

On Sep 3, 2014, at 3:06 AM, Christoph Schober <christoph.schober@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have problems getting the parallel debugger in Eclipse-ptp to work.
> I try to include as much useful information as possible(0), but if you
> need more, please let me know.
>
> So what did I want to do? I wanted to use the parallel debugger to
> debug a MPI code on my local workstation. Since it is my first contact
> with Eclipse in general, I decided to go for some tutorials and to
> create a sample project (the MPI Pi example).
>
> First I suspected it was an issue with our workstations/network at
> university (Kerberos, AFS, NFS, Firewall, Proxy), but after failing
> there I tried to get everything running on my laptop and got exactly
> the same behaviour. All of the following was done on my laptop (and
> this is the last, most systematic approach I've taken after failing
> multiple times).
>
> 1) Create the project, make sure it compiles, changed optimization in
> the Makefile to -O0.
> 2) Create a "Parallel application" run configuration, use: Connection
> Type - local, Open MPI-Generic-Interactive.
> 3) Run the config - Everything works as expected.
> 4) Edit the same configuration for "Debug configurations". In the
> debugger tab I tried "localhost" as well as my hostname. I tried to
> compile my own version of sdm(1) or use the built-in one
> . Both did not work and gave the same result:
>
> After click on "Debug", I immediately see the following message in the
> "Console":
>
> #PTP job_id=3588
> Data for JOB [15727,1] offset 0
>
> - -------------------------------------------------------
> Primary job  terminated normally, but 1 process returned
> a non-zero exit code.. Per user-direction, the job has been aborted.
> - -------------------------------------------------------
>

> In addition, a progress bar "Operation in progress" appears and stops
> at ~20%. When I just click "Cancel" then I will get the message "Error
> completing debug job launch. Reason: Cannot connect to debugger." and
> after this eclipse will freeze. The freeze will not happen if I kill
> the sdm-process(2) before clicking cancel.
>
> Debugging for a "local fortran application" and directly in terminal
> with gdb works fine. I really suspect I'm missing something with sdm.
> Does anybody of you have any suggestion what I might be missing here?
> Am I trying to use the PTP-SDM-Debugger in a wrong way?
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Best regards,
> Christoph
>

> (0) System Info: Arch Linux, i3wm
>
> Output of $: java -version:
>    java version "1.7.0_65"
>    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.5.2) (Arch Linux build
> 7.u65_2.5.2-1-x86_64)
>    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.65-b04, mixed mode)
>
> Eclipse version:
>    Luna Release (4.4.0), Build id: 20140612-0600
>
> PTP version: (installed via eclipse, but I also tried the Download
> from the ptp-website...)
> [...]

Back to the top