[ptp-user] Remote Generic Interactive - Target System Configuration

Christoph,
We don't have anything in the PTP help for this Target System Configuration and I want to add some,
a generic (ha) description of what exactly it is and why it's of use.
http://help.eclipse.org/kepler/topic/org.eclipse.ptp.doc.user/html/03pRunConfig.html?cp=47_9

I think this would be a good start. If you want to write more, that would be great!

...Beth

Beth Tibbitts

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 7:00 AM, Christoph Pospiech <Christoph.Pospiech@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Friday, April 18, 2014 18:34:08 Chao wrote:

> Hi Dr. Christoph Pospiech and Doug,

> I think I can only use "Remote Generic Interactive" on the "Run

> Configurations". But I don't understand "And if all else fails, there is

> still "Remote generic interactive" which lets you execute a script of your

> choice on the remote system."

> What do you mean by "execute a script of you choice on the remote system"?

> Is this what I write on my own routine?

> I am sorry I just start to learn how to run parallel. So I don't understand

> clearly about the mpi or the makefile.

Hi Chao,

sorry, I was too cryptic in my wording.

"Remote Generic Interactive" is the most flexible way to start a parallel job. I pushed to keep it in the Eclipse distribution a while ago.

But everything comes at a cost. In this case you pay for the flexibility by doing everything by yourself. There are no hints nor any guidance. All what "Remote Generic Interactive" does is starting something that can be executed via ssh on the remote system.

Now I have to detail what I mean by "something that can be executed". The name of that "something" should go into the application tab, field "Application program". As this is just started via ssh on the remote system, it cannot be your program executable. If you put your executable in here, it would be run in serial (i.e. one MPI rank, one OpenMP thread) on the login node - which is most likely *not* what you want.

Instead, "Application program" should be a script that does the following.

* do any preparation work, set environment variables, create directories as needed.

* change into the execution directory

* initialize and set any modules as required.

* create a host list if required

* create a batch script as needed.

* get input data and copy them into the execution directory (or create symbolic links as required).

* start the executable in parallel using the startup script (usually mpiexec or mpirun) from your MPI distribution.

* potentially do some post processing.

I can provide you with an example, but I am not sure whether this would be more helpful than starting off by your own. Please send me an email, if I should send it to you.

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Dr. Christoph Pospiech

High Performance & Parallel Computing

Phone: +49-351 86269826

Mobile: +49-171-765 5871

E-Mail: christoph.pospiech@xxxxxxxxxx

IBM Deutschland GmbH / Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter

Geschäftsführung: Martina Koederitz (Vorsitzende), Reinhard Reschke, Dieter Scholz, Gregor Pillen, Christian Noll, Ivo Koerner

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ehningen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 14562 / WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 99369940