Re: [ptp-user] I can't ignore .gitignore

On Tuesday, July 09, 2013 10:03:48 "Dr. David E Hudak" <dhudak@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Christoph,

> I would be willing to put in a feature request for option #1 below (don't

> create .gitignore in nonempty directories).  What do you think?

> Thanks,

> Dave

Dave,

I would think that would help a lot.

I have been experimenting with a top level .gitignore with contents as follows.

/.ptp-sync

/*/.gitignore

/*/*/.gitignore

/*/*/*/.gitignore

/*/*/*/*/.gitignore

More lines with more '*/' might be added. This makes the .gitignore disappear from command line "git status" and Egit project manager display as desired.

At least that is a work around until the feature request is implemented.

To make this a general solution I guess that the non top level .gitignore should be renamed into .ignore_me and corresponding entries /*.../.ignore_me should be added to the top level .gitignore. This would leave the name .gitignore available to those users using .gitignore for their own purposes.

Would that be a feasible extension of your feature request ?

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Dr. Christoph Pospiech

High Performance & Parallel Computing

Phone: +49-351 86269826

Mobile: +49-171-765 5871

E-Mail: christoph.pospiech@xxxxxxxxxx

IBM Deutschland GmbH / Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter

Geschäftsführung: Martina Koederitz (Vorsitzende), Reinhard Reschke, Dieter Scholz, Gregor Pillen, Joachim Heel, Christian Noll

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ehningen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 14562 / WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 99369940

Back to the top