Re: [ptp-user] help ! PTP synchronization appears to hang !

On Tuesday, July 09, 2013 09:40:00 Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Christoph,

> I'd say only the last message is related to the synchronize problem, and

> only because you shut down Eclipse while a job was still running. So it's

> not much help.

> My experience with the 14% is that it is due to running out of memory. Try

> increasing your Xmx value to something larger.

> Greg

Greg,

I think I found the problem. Fortunately someone called me on the phone and distracted me from the Eclipse screen. When I came back, PTP sync told me that it was processing file 20xx out of 9xxx (means - it wasn't really hanging). I was expecting only <100 files to be replicated. The directory with this enormous amount of files was created at run time. So my filter settings were inappropriate. Or - even better - I moved the offending directory out of the work space and thus out of sight for PTP sync.

Since you suggested it - are there any directions on how to determine the best Xmx value ? Or is it trial and error ? In the beginning the options were

-vmargs -Xmx1024M. Following your post I was experimenting with higher values such as 1280M or 2048M - to no apparent avail. Given the above solution, that might not be surprising. But it would be good to have Xmx at a decent value.

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Dr. Christoph Pospiech

High Performance & Parallel Computing

Phone: +49-351 86269826

Mobile: +49-171-765 5871

E-Mail: christoph.pospiech@xxxxxxxxxx

IBM Deutschland GmbH / Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter

Geschäftsführung: Martina Koederitz (Vorsitzende), Reinhard Reschke, Dieter Scholz, Gregor Pillen, Joachim Heel, Christian Noll

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ehningen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 14562 / WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 99369940

Back to the top