Re: [ptp-user] wizard didn't accomplish a PTP synchronized project

Hi

Yes, you're correct. I didn't consider that the directories need to be transferred
from local to remote. I think the synchronized project FAQ would be the best
location for this information. Perhaps something like:

Q: Why do I get messages about missing directories when trying to compile
a managed project remotely?

A: Managed projects create their build directories locally, which are then
sync'ed to the remote machine. If this sync fails for any reason, Eclipse will
complain about a missing directory when attempting to compile. Make sure
that the build directories are not being filtered. By default, the directory name is
that of the build configuration, such as "Debug_remote" or "Release_remote."

John

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Christoph Pospiech <Christoph.Pospiech@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thursday, December 13, 2012 15:57:18 John Eblen wrote:

> > 1. The hint "don't add the expressions Debug_.* and Release_.* to the

> > exclusion list for ptp synchronization" should be added to the

> > documentation. Not sure whether FAQ is an appropriate place for this.

>  Can you explain this a little more? Given that these are build

> directories, one might actually want to filter them.

John,

this is precisely why I first filtered them.

Just to be on the safe side, I scratched everything, i.e.

* rm -rf ../eclipse .project .settings .cproject Debug_*

* Then opened the work space again

(which recreated an empty workspace ../eclipse )

* Projects->New->Synchronized C/C++ project

-> executable -> empty MPI C project

* pointed locally to the existing source file

* pointed to a remote host that allowed Linux gcc

(and thus avoiding the known bug with xlc)

* excluded Debug_.* from synchronization.

* compiled locally. This went fine.

* compiled remotely (same tool chain).

This got me the following message.

20:03:52 **** Incremental Build of configuration Debug_remote for project MPI_Output ****

make all

/bin/bash: line 0: cd: /homec/ibm/pospiech/bench/DKRZ/MPI_Output/Debug_remote: No such file or directory

20:03:53 Build Finished (took 1s.318ms)

Then I removed Debug_.* from the filter and added the expressions Debug_.*\/MPI_Output and Debug_.*\/.*\.o to it and retried.

20:16:38 **** Incremental Build of configuration Debug_remote for project MPI_Output ****

make all

Building file: ../helloa.c

Invoking: GCC C Compiler

mpicc -O0 -g3 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 -MMD -MP -MF"helloa.d" -MT"helloa.d" -o "helloa.o" "../helloa.c"

/opt/ibmcmp/vac/bg/12.1/bin/.orig/bgxlc_r: 1501-289 (W) Option -Wall was incorrectly specified. The option will be ignored.

/opt/ibmcmp/vac/bg/12.1/bin/.orig/bgxlc_r: 1501-289 (W) Option -Wall was incorrectly specified. The option will be ignored.

/opt/ibmcmp/vac/bg/12.1/bin/.orig/bgxlc_r: 1501-216 (W) command option -fmessage-length=0 is not recognized - passed to ld

/opt/ibmcmp/vac/bg/12.1/bin/.orig/bgxlc_r: 1501-208 (S) command option D is missing a subargument

make: *** [helloa.o] Error 40

20:16:41 Build Finished (took 2s.958ms)

Ooops, this is a BlueGene - mpicc does not wrap gcc but xlc, not really a Linux gcc tool chain. I have to tamper the options and then it will compile. But I think you see the difference.

It appears that Debug_remote is generated locally (given the tool chain and other settings), then replicated to the remote host. Then the compilation is started via ssh. If you exclude Debug_.* from replication, make doesn't find anything to make.

Is this the level of detail that you expected ? If so, what should we do with it ? Put this into some wiki ?

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Dr. Christoph Pospiech

High Performance & Parallel Computing

Phone: +49-351 86269826

Mobile: +49-171-765 5871

E-Mail: christoph.pospiech@xxxxxxxxxx

IBM Deutschland GmbH / Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter

Geschäftsführung: Martina Koederitz (Vorsitzende), Reinhard Reschke, Dieter Scholz, Gregor Pillen, Joachim Heel, Christian Noll

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ehningen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 14562 / WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 99369940