Re: [ptp-user] synchronized mode

Easiest and most up to date doc to read would be our XSEDE tutorial from this past July.
A link to the slides are at the bottom of this page.
http://wiki.eclipse.org/PTP/tutorials/XSEDE12
(But note that a new and improved version of the PTP tutorial will be present Monday Nov 12 at SC12 in Salt Lake City!)

Install the "Eclipse for Parallel Application Developers" as described on that page, on your local laptop (or workstation)
Assuming your source code is in a directory on the remote system,
following the directions in the slides starting on about page 60 "Creating a Synchronized Project"
The page numbers are lower right of the slides will start with "Sync-"

Note that if you already used the same location for eclipse to make a project (directly on that remote machine)
it may whine about overwriting some eclipse project info, which is ok unless you want to go back to the other one.
To be cleanest if you make a copy of the source code you want to use, put it in a directory on the remote system that
has nothing to do with the original one that you already played with with eclipse.

Note that slide no. "Sync-1" has three project types.
What you did before (Running eclipse directly on the remote machine and exporting your display to your local laptop)  isn't really one of those.
It was actually a local project, since your eclipse was on the same machine where you had the source code and did the build/run.
The setup for synchronized projects as described above lets you work offline when the network connection isn't available, and synchronizes
your files to the copies on the remote machine.  It doesn't have to send every keystroke to the remote machine like it did in your first scenario.
I think you will like the improved response of Eclipse this way.

...Beth

Beth Tibbitts
Eclipse Parallel Tools Platform  http://eclipse.org/ptp
IBM STG - High Performance Computing Tools
Mailing Address:  IBM Corp., 745 West New Circle Road, Lexington, KY 40511

Inactive hide details for "Horton, Mitchel D" ---11/06/2012 10:30:12 AM---Beth,  As we discussed, I want to use Eclipse and PTP"Horton, Mitchel D" ---11/06/2012 10:30:12 AM---Beth,  As we discussed, I want to use Eclipse and PTP to develop OpenACC code.

"Horton, Mitchel D" <mhorton9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

ptp-user@xxxxxxxxxxx,

11/06/2012 10:30 AM

[ptp-user] synchronized mode

    Sent by:

ptp-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Beth,

As we discussed, I want to use Eclipse and PTP to develop OpenACC code.
What can you tell me about how to setup eclipse/ptp in synchronized mode?