Re: [ptp-user] PTP synchronized projects - Ooops, remote make doesn't execute ?

On Monday, November 05, 2012 0:49:52 Dr. Christoph Pospiech wrote:
> Next I logged in to the remote site and tried 'bash -l -c <some_command>'.
> I  got a command line prompt, but no execution of "some_command".
> Apparently, the -l inhibited the -c option. I had to drop the -l option in
> order to get "some command" executed.
>
> For the bash in question I get the following.
> cp@sirius:~$ ssh blizzard.dkrz.de bash --version
> GNU bash, version 4.0.10(1)-release (powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0)
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
> <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
>
> Does this explain the behavior as detailed above ?
>
> What precisely gets executed when calling "bash -l ..." ? Could it be that
> I  need to look for some oddity in $HOME/.bashrc or /etc/profile or ...?

HEUREKA !! I found it !

When I wrote the above post, I already was very close to the solution.

Apparently, 'bash -l -c ...' executes $HOME/.profile, and mine - for reasons
way back in the past - called "exec /client/bin/bash". This seems to
annihilate the -c option.

I cleaned up my $HOME/.profile, made it call ". ~/.bashrc", and now...
* Properties/C/C++ Build/Environment Management (aka modules) works cleanly.
  (it hang before)
* remote make is executed when it should be executed.
  (it just said "make all" - "make finished" before)

In the future I will keep a critical eye on my remote $HOME/.profile settings !

And thanks to John Eblen for the support - I now have a development
environment handy - for further strange effects in the future :-)
--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Dr. Christoph Pospiech
High Performance & Parallel Computing
Phone: +49-351 86269826
Mobile: +49-171-765 5871
E-Mail: christoph.pospiech@xxxxxxxxxx
IBM Deutschland GmbH / Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschäftsführung: Martina Koederitz (Vorsitzende), Reinhard Reschke, Dieter
Scholz, Gregor Pillen, Joachim Heel, Christian Noll
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ehningen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB
14562 / WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 99369940

Back to the top