Re: [ptp-user] New PTP user with Synchronization issues

On Wednesday, June 13, 2012 06:34:29 Dale Davis wrote:

> 1st.  my original project is from an egit clone.  When the synchronization

> has completed, a "team synchronize" shows a a lot of extra .ptp-sync and

> new .gitignore entries.  I understand the reason for these, but don't see

> how to remove them.  I tried added these to a new .git/info/exclude file,

> but it doesn't seem to have any effect in egit like it does in the command

> line git.   I may be doing something wrong but and not sure what.

.gitignore and .ptp-sync are added by the synchronization mechanism for internal and administrative reasons. They are supposed to be ignored by the user. Unfortunately, - see my last post for iuno RC3 - they sometimes cause unwanted effects. If that happens, I would regard it as a bug and post a bug report.

As far as I understood the developer, .gitignore is empty (i.e. a zero byte file), not really used other than forcing a directory to be not empty. Since the file has no contents, git ignores it safely. Adding a zero byte file named .hello_world or .please_ignore_me would have served the same purpose. If this file is missing, and the directory is actually empty, it doesn't get replicated to the remote host. This might generate more errors and confusion than the extra .hidden file.

.ptp-sync is another git repository, as "team synchronize" is using git under the hood to actually do the synchronization. If you are using git for revision control, you will have two git repositories, one for you (.git) and one for "team synchronize" (.ptp-sync). If you remove .ptp-sync on one side (locally or remote) you drive "team synchronize" into madness. If you remove it on both sides and also restart eclipse after that, you reset "team synchronize" and force it to have a fresh start.

Did this answer your question ?

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Dr. Christoph Pospiech

High Performance & Parallel Computing

Phone: +49-351 86269826

Mobile: +49-171-765 5871

E-Mail: christoph.pospiech@xxxxxxxxxx

IBM Deutschland GmbH / Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter

Geschäftsführung: Martina Koederitz (Vorsitzende), Reinhard Reschke, Dieter Scholz, Gregor Pillen, Joachim Heel, Christian Noll

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ehningen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 14562 / WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 99369940

Back to the top