[ptp-user] New PTP features of the Ecipse Iuno edition

Hi,

I am currently using Eclipse Iuno RC1 (Build id: 20120524-0130) and I guess I
promised to report back on findings if there are any.

The bumpiest part of the road are PTP and modules support. I have seen it
working smoothly on one remote host, but unfortunately, for the remote host I
am currently working on, Eclipse says "no modules installed", albeit they are
actually there. For details I am referring to earlier posts in this forum (vol
66, issue 17). So, I logged in on the remote host, executed the module unload
and module load that I needed, echoed $PATH, $LD_LIBRARY_PATH and various
other environment variables on the command line, and cut&pasted them into the
environment variable sections of Build Configurations and Run Configurations. A
bit tedious, but this work around smoothly did what I wanted.

I was also making extensive use of the new run configurations, particularly
Remote_Generic.-Interactive. This runs VERY smoothly. Particularly, not having
to switch to the parallel Runtime perspective to start remote hosts (e.g. if
you want to start a run right after firing up Eclipse) is a big relief.

I haven't tested other run configurations, as I my applications usually come
with scripts that set up input data and (potentially) generate LoadL or
OpenPBS batch statements as needed. So the Remote_Generic.-Interactive is a
100% fit. If I come along a project which doesn't have a  run script like this,
I might want to test the other remote run configurations.

I remember to have seen in a demo, the the new run configurations pop up a
window asking whether it should switch to a monitoring perspective. I don't
remember that I was ever asked this question. Is this what I should expect
when using Remote_Generic.-Interactive ? As my scripts sometimes at least do
llsubmit, it would be nice if I had this option.

Also, currently I am using different remote hosts for compilation and job
submission. Both remote hosts share a parallel file system. So the executable
compiled on one remote host is visible on the job submission host. This also
works VERY smoothly with the current Eclipse Iuno RC1 - please don't ever plan
to change this !

I remember Greg Watson saying in his Presentation at ScicomP, that the module
commands are executed both, for compilation and execution. Could we clarify
this, particularly in the context of different compilation and job submission
hosts ? In my current environment, I couldn't test this, because - as
mentioned earlier - Eclipse doesn't recognize modules anyhow.
--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Dr. Christoph Pospiech
High Performance & Parallel Computing
Phone: +49-351 86269826
Mobile: +49-171-765 5871
E-Mail: christoph.pospiech@xxxxxxxxxx
IBM Deutschland GmbH / Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschäftsführung: Martina Koederitz (Vorsitzende), Reinhard Reschke, Dieter
Scholz, Gregor Pillen, Joachim Heel, Christian Noll
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ehningen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB
14562 / WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 99369940

Back to the top