Re: [ptp-user] PTP and modules

On Monday, May 28, 2012 14:43:57 Dr. David E Hudak wrote:

> >> 1. Will there be support for Remote projects?
> >

> > Not in Juno, but it might be possible in a later release, if there's
> > demand for it.
> I would like to argue for it.  I believe that our users will mostly be doing
> remote projects.  In general, having our Windows users install and maintain
> client-side packages on their laptops is challenging to support (like
> Putty, FileZilla, VNC clients, Eclipse).  We don't have a good package of
> "cygwin + mpi + ?" and even if we did, we'd still have the maintenance
> problem.  So, I think that remote projects will be important for some
> users.

Hi,

as far as I know, module support is for synchronized projects, and
synchronized projects do the editing locally, compiling remotely and
synchronization via git (to put it in a nutshell). You need to have git up and
running on either side and little else. You can compile locally, but you don't
have to.

Admittedly, I am using Kubuntu Oneiric (and not Windows) on my local TP (which
serves as the eclipse front end). Reading in this forum, Windows users have
reported problems coming from Windows using '\' instead of '/' for directories
and have a different concept of permissions (if any at all). I am not aware of
any necessity of FileZilla or VNC.

I always thought that synchronized projects will eventually supersede remote
projects, because synchronized projects are actually implementing remote
projects combined with local file editing.

Am I wrong with this ?
--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Dr. Christoph Pospiech
High Performance & Parallel Computing
Phone: +49-351 86269826
Mobile: +49-171-765 5871
E-Mail: christoph.pospiech@xxxxxxxxxx
IBM Deutschland GmbH / Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschäftsführung: Martina Koederitz (Vorsitzende), Reinhard Reschke, Dieter
Scholz, Gregor Pillen, Joachim Heel, Christian Noll
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ehningen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB
14562 / WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 99369940

Back to the top