Re: [ptp-user] PTP and modules

Hi Dave,

		Nothing shows up!
	4.  Click "Apply", click "Close, and reopen Properties for project
	5.  This time, the module list loads!

That happened to me too, actually.  I'm looking into it.

Step 9: frown because a GCC project on local side expects a GCC compiler on remote side.

When you create the project, please choose one of the project types listed under "Makefile Project." This requires you to write your own Makefile, of course, but, if I recall correctly, they're the only ones that work reliably with synchronized projects. (Am I right about that, John/Roland/Greg?)

On Cray systems, at least, there's a generic compiler driver (cc or ftn) that delegates to a vendor-specific compiler, depending on what modules are loaded. So, you almost always invoke that from your Makefile rather than invoking gcc or craycc directly. That makes it fairly easy to switch compilers without changing the Makefile: just swap modules. I don't know if your system has anything similar, or if that's a Cray-ism, but it's really nice...

Maybe someday we'll be able to auto-generate a Makefile with the correct compiler selected automatically based on what modules are loaded on the remote system, but we're a long way from that, unfortunately...

I will often want to do GCC on the local side, icc on the remote side.

Hmm, I'm not sure exactly how to do that without some Makefile magic. I would have to think about that...

1. Will there be support for Remote projects?

Not in Juno, but it might be possible in a later release, if there's demand for it.

2. It takes a while for the synchronized project to be created on the remote system

It's hard to say what would be causing this, exactly. Project creation takes a few seconds even for local projects, and that's compounded by remote synchronization/network traffic. One of the guys working on synchronized projects might have more specific thoughts...

Jeff

Back to the top