[ptp-user] MPI_COMM_WORLD woes ** Indigo vs. Iuno

Hi,

I am just trying to convince a current development build of Iuno to accept
MPI_COMM_WORLD (as defined in mpi.h) as a valid part of the MPI parallel
program.

I have a simple *.c file, created a git repository out of that
(git init; git add .; git commit), opened a new eclipse workspace (directory
was empty before) and imported from git as general project.

Then I did New->"Convert into C/C++ Project", ticked "C project", "Executable"
and "gcc toolchain" - and the build failed, complaining, it can't find mpi.h.
No surprise, I thought. I opened Properties->C/C++ Build->Settings and
switched the compiler and linker name from gcc to mpicc. Then the build was
successful. Then I opened the *.c file in the editor - and all occurrences of
MPI_COMM_WORLD were flagged as an error.

I then opened Properties->C/C++General->Paths and Symbols->Includes, but
/usr/lib/openmpi/include was already there. That was indeed a surprise.

I decided to scratch the workspace and all eclipse generated files (.project,
.cproject ...) and started eclipse Indigo (latest version) to do the same.
Same outcome, until I opened Properties->C/C++General->Paths and Symbols-
>Includes, which did >NOT< contain /usr/lib/openmpi/include. When I added it,
eclipse offered to recompile, and after that MPI_COMM_WORLD was no longer
flagged as error.

Is this a Iuno bug ? Or if not, how can I convince Iuno to make friends with
MPI_COMM_WORLD ?

Is there any hope for a future "gcc+OpenMPI" toolchain ? OK, once this exists,
users will request for "xxx+yyy" toolchain, where xxx is a C compiler (icc,
xlc, ...) and yyy is a MPI implementation (Intel MPI, IBM PE, mpich,  ...) -
and there is a myriad of these combinations. But how does the PTP community
plan to handle this ?
--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Dr. Christoph Pospiech
High Performance & Parallel Computing
Phone: +49-351 86269826
Mobile: +49-171-765 5871
E-Mail: christoph.pospiech@xxxxxxxxxx
IBM Deutschland GmbH / Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschäftsführung: Martina Koederitz (Vorsitzende), Reinhard Reschke, Dieter
Scholz, Gregor Pillen, Joachim Heel, Christian Noll
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ehningen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB
14562 / WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 99369940

Back to the top