Re: [ptp-user] Eclipse PTP : debugging with OpenMP and switching between threads

I think when debugging OpenMP only (no MPI), you're making a C/C++ application (local i presume).
You don't need a resource manager. That's only for running parallel applications.
I think the thread issues are problems with gdb and/or the CDT debugger... I remember something like that a while back.
I probably can't help further, but what is your version of gdb?
CDT has the different threads in one of the debugging windows. But I remember an issue with stopping in one but not the others... or something similar.
I'd check the CDT forums e.g. [1] and poke around on related things there.

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/699370/?srch=cdt+thread+debug+breakpoint#msg_699370

...Beth

Beth Tibbitts
Eclipse Parallel Tools Platform  http://eclipse.org/ptp
IBM STG - High Performance Computing Tools
Mailing Address:  IBM Corp., 745 West New Circle Road, Lexington, KY 40511

Inactive hide details for Franck Houssen ---01/16/2012 07:01:48 AM---Hello, I use Ubuntu 11.10 and my version of Eclipse is : EFranck Houssen ---01/16/2012 07:01:48 AM---Hello, I use Ubuntu 11.10 and my version of Eclipse is : Eclipse IDE for Parallel Application Develo

Franck Houssen <fh_p@xxxxxxxxxxx>

PTP USERS <ptp-user@xxxxxxxxxxx>,

01/16/2012 07:01 AM

[ptp-user] Eclipse PTP : debugging with OpenMP and switching between threads

    Sent by:

ptp-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

I use Ubuntu 11.10 and my version of Eclipse is : Eclipse IDE for Parallel Application Developers, Version: Indigo Service Release 1, Build id: 20110916-0149.

I am new to Eclipse. I created a makefile project (with debug flag : g++ -g -openmp) to compile an OpenMP program : compiling is OK (and run outside eclipse in an xterm is OK).
I have 2 questions about running / debugging OpenMP in Eclipse :
    1. To run a simple OpenMP project, am I supposed to create a "local" or a "parallel" application configuration ? My understanding is that when using only OpenMP (as I do here) local configuration are the one to use, but, when using both OpenMPI + OpenMP parallel configuration are the one to use (because of MPI). Am I right ? If not, which kind of resource manager should be created to handle OpenMP (I have no OpenMP resource manager available) ?
    2. When debugging a simple OpenMP project, is possible to switch between threads (at the same time, current line code may not be the same for each thread) ? I believed it could be possible to follow OpenMP threads in the same way that it is possible to follow OpenMPI processus : is this possible ? As point 1 mentions it, I use a local configuration and -g when compiling to enable accessing thread stack : when debugging I see the 4 threads of my PC but I can only access the main thread (see attached pictures - threads 2 and 3 behave like thread 4 : impossible to access any level of the thread stack)

Regards,

FH
[attachment "DebugThread1.png" deleted by Beth Tibbitts/Watson/IBM] [attachment "DebugThread4.png" deleted by Beth Tibbitts/Watson/IBM]