Re: [ptp-user] ptp-user Digest, Vol 61, Issue 12

On Tuesday, December 13, 2011 15:38:12 Beth Tibbitts <tibbitts@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Christoph,
> We had this in the FAQ:
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/PTP/sync-projects#I_get_a_Merge_conflict_for_a_file
> _that_changed_both_locally_and_remotely.__How_do_I_recover_from_this.3F It
> sounds like maybe what you're doing is a super-set of this?
> (I don't have experience with this, just wanting to see if the FAQ is right
> and update it with more details if necessary)
>
> ...Beth

The entry in the wiki says -
"Delete the file on the remote system and re-synchronize."

This may or may not work. For git, file deletion is a patch that removes all
lines in the file. If the same file on the other host was changed as well, you
might get another merge conflict (two conflicting patches). If it wasn't changed
on the other host, chances are that the file removal gets replicated to the
other side. Means - the file is deleted there as well by PTP synchronization.

So it is presumably better to replace the copy on the local or remote side
with a desired version (taken from the other end) using a simple scp or sftp.

Then, when both sides are having identical files, it is presumably safer to
make PTP (or git) forget the history - by removing .ptp-sync on both sides.

Finally, - and this might not be necessary - I am reluctant to change files
like .ptp-sync that are under the control of eclipse while it is running.
Therefore I am shutting it down before doing these operations.

This is how I arrived at the four steps described in an earlier post.
--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Dr. Christoph Pospiech
High Performance & Parallel Computing
Phone: +49-351 86269826
Mobile: +49-171-765 5871
E-Mail: christoph.pospiech@xxxxxxxxxx
IBM Deutschland GmbH / Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschäftsführung: Martina Koederitz (Vorsitzende), Reinhard Reschke, Dieter
Scholz, Gregor Pillen, Joachim Heel, Christian Noll
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Ehningen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB
14562 / WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 99369940

Back to the top