Re: [ptp-user] PTP debug launch hangs: Waiting for job information...

Well, the problem is that the debugger works for gdb 6.3 on some systems, but seemingly not others. I'll see if I can reproduce the problem.

Greg

On Nov 10, 2010, at 12:44 PM, Chris Genly wrote:

When I updated gdb to 7.0.1 I'm able to debug a remote project.  Apparently the PTP debugger does not work with gdb 6.3, and doesn't complain about an incompatible version.

From: "Chris Genly" <genly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "PTP User list" <ptp-user@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 8, 2010 9:15:28 AM
Subject: Re: [ptp-user] PTP debug launch hangs: Waiting        for        job        information...

Now that was a helpful explanation about tunneling.  Thanks! The basic problem is my windows system doesn't have an ssh server running.  I can ping from windows to linux and linux to windows.  I switched my open mpi resource manager to use ssh port forwarding and I am able to get further.  Where is the tunneling documented?  I really didn't know what the tunneling options were for.   When I press the "?" help icon in the resource manager editor nothing comes up.

Here are a series of experiments with varying resource manager settings.

Generic resource manager, no tunnel, remote service provider is remote tools
   Parallel debugging perspective comes up.
   Progress dialog comes up, "Operation in progress...", "Upload file".
   Progress just hangs at about 20%.
   No errors appear in error view until operation is cancelled.

Generic resource manager, tunnel set to ssh port forwarding, remote service provider is remote tools
   Parallel debugging perspective comes up.
   Progress dialog comes up, "Operation in progress...", "Upload file".
   Progress just hangs at about 20%.
   No errors appear in error view until operation is cancelled.

Open MPI resource manager, tunnel set to ssh port forwarding,
  Parallel debugging perspective comes up.
  Progress dialog comes up and completes.
  Error dialog pops up: "Error on tasks:0 - Internal Error  Reason: Debugger error: bad response from gdb.
  The error dialog is repeated two more times.

When I go to the linux system and run gdb I get the following:
 [genly@longhorn ~]$ gdb
 GNU gdb 6.3
 There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details.
 This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu".
 (gdb)