Re: [ptp-user] PTP How to create new PBS script in PTP resource manager

forwarded from Al, because he has trouble to subscribe.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Albert L. Rossi <arossi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 2:51 PM
Subject: PBS script issues
To: dtustudy68@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Roland Schulz <schulzr@xxxxxxxx>

Hello,

The current version (4.0.4) of the PBS resource manager is a bit cumbersome and will be superseded by a cleaner configuration model in 5.0.  But for the moment, I will try to troubleshoot your issues.  I assume that you have already read through the available Help pages (PTP User Guide > Resource Managers > Running PBS Jobs).

I am not sure exactly what you are doing when you say "I edit a full-template and then edit it to a new customized template... but when I reopen it".  Are you doing this all within the Edit/Create Resource Manager wizard page?  Are you sure, after the first act of "editing", that you have reselected it in the "Default Template" drop-down box?

Note that there is a difference between the template, which is used to build the Eclipse widget, and the actual script which will be generated from it.  On the Run/Launch tab page (Resources Tab), the "View Script" shows you what the script will be on the basis of the values you have filled in on that page.  If you have not filled in many of them, the actual script will look very short.

Note also that the attributes to be displayed in the Resources Tab correspond to strings delimited by "@...@" in the template file.  If you modify those strings such that they no longer have the delimiters, they will not be displayed.

There is no way currently simply to import a pre-existent script into Eclipse, for the reason that we use this special syntax to construct the widget whereby you can enter the corresponding values.  However, you can always cut and paste pieces of your script into the editor that comes up in (1); another alternative is to slice the script up around the actual line that executes the main application, and add it to the template as "Prepended" and "Postpended" commands.

In the next release, the configuration of the template will actually be available via the Launch/Run configuration, not as part of the Resource Manager set-up per se.  This allows for greater flexibility.  This also will fix a few little glitches in the way templates get associated with Resource Manager instances (as opposed to filled in values, which persist within a given Launch configuration, even across different managers and templates).

If you have more questions or problems, please feel free to send them along.

Al Rossi

> From: Jack Bryan <dtustudy68@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 7:04 PM
> Subject: [ptp-user] PTP How to create new PBS script in PTP resource manager
> To: parallel tools platform <ptp-user@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>

>  Hi,
>
> How to create new PBS script in PTP resource manager ?
>
> In PBS Batch Script Configuration tab:
>
> I edit a full-template and then edit it to a new customized template.
>
> But, when I reopen it , the new template is not what I have written in it.
>
> It is very short and most new added things are deleted.
>
> Only the first line of the new added lines are left.
>
> why ?
>
> How to import a new customized PBS script to PTP ?
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Jack
>
> Oct. 29 2010

865-241-1537, ORNL PO BOX 2008 MS6309