Re: [ptp-user] Bug report... FileTools.java - job submission framework questions

On 04/14/2010 02:44 PM, Dave Wootton wrote:

Steve
I'm assuming you're asking about the LoadLeveler resource manager, and my responses apply to that resource manager

The jobs list is showing all jobs that it finds in the job queue for the cluster it is monitoring. There is no filtering based on userid.
I think it would be an improvement if this were added.

When a job completes, it disappears off the job queue. I think the rationale was that on a large system the job queue would be so active that the user would have a hard time selecting and deleting jobs from the jobs view
If the jobs were filtered, it would not be nearly so difficult.

The rationale for the LoadLeveler support in PTP was to provide integrated support for using LoadLeveler in PTP instead of requiring the user to telnet/ssh somewhere, find his application and the LoadLeveler job submission file and run llsubmit

Logging in and typing llsubmit is not all that hard--certainly a lot less difficult than configuring the PTP hooks to make it possible. And anyway, it will be necessary to log in and find the results of the runs afterward.

If PTP could manage runs instead of just submitting jobs, I think that would be far more useful / valuable.
Dave

From: "Steven R. Brandt" <sbrandt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ptp-user@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 04/13/2010 10:15 AM
Subject: Re: [ptp-user] Bug report... FileTools.java
Sent by: ptp-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, that was the problem. The HEAD branch works. There are some other
issues ("AbstractProxyRuntimeSystem: invalid attribute for definition"
shows up about a million places in the workspace error log), but you may
be working on these.

So I have a question or two about the usage of the PTP job submission
framework.

First, the jobs list. It seems to show all running jobs, not just mine,
and it doesn't seem to be particularly aware of which job is mine. Is it
supposed to be like that?

Secondly, it doesn't seem to have a memory of which jobs it has
submitted and whether they have completed or failed. Should it? Am I
missing a configuration step?

What is the main benefit to running through PTP rather than logging in
and typing llsubmit or qsub?

Cheers,
Steve