Re: [ptp-user] Getting started with PTP

One of the things you could have done is ask me to show you how to use it while I was around in BTR for five years :)

All kidding aside, if you still need help Steve I can walk you through the process over the phone or over adobe connect pro. PTP is great for debugging parallel mixed language codes like SAMRAI,

Regards
Yaakoub El Khamra

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Beth Tibbitts <tibbitts@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I created a makefile (didn't realize I
>needed to do that, I thought the project would build using Eclipse magic).

>except it doesn't seem that the settings
>for the MPI compiler that I put into PTP are being used for anything.

Steven,
There are two types of C/C++/Fortran projects, "Managed Build" which is the "Eclipse magic" and also a "Makefile project"
where you bring your own Makefile.
The writeups in the PLDT stuff for PTP assume a simple managed build project.  Managed build projects can programmagically
change build options for you based on other info (such as what you told the PTP wizards etc.)
A makefile projects uses only what's in your makefile to build.

Assuming you have the PLDT (Parallel Language Development Tools) Component of PTP installed,
try doing new > C project  and select "MPI hello world" - that should set up a simple project for you.
If it asked to set up MPI project settings, it just wants to know where your MPI header file is.
Select the directory where your mpi header file is found (e.g. /usr/local/include, etc.).
You should only need to do this once, and all other subsequently created projects should use it.

The help files should be in your PTP installation, but they are also online here:
http://eclipse.org/ptp/doc.php

Specifically, the info about making a new MPI project starts here:
http://eclipse.org/ptp/documentation/3.0/org.eclipse.ptp.help/html/01buildMPIprog.html
and more info is here under PLDT:
http://eclipse.org/ptp/documentation/3.0/org.eclipse.ptp.pldt.help/html/setup.html

...Beth

Beth Tibbitts
Eclipse Parallel Tools Platform http://eclipse.org/ptp
IBM STG Communications Protocols and Tools
Mailing Address: IBM Corp., Coldstream Research Campus, 745 West New Circle Road, Lexington, KY 40511

Inactive hide details for "Steven R. Brandt" ---02/11/2010 10:33:21 AM---I'm getting started with PTP and Eclipse at the same t"Steven R. Brandt" ---02/11/2010 10:33:21 AM---I'm getting started with PTP and Eclipse at the same time. I have resolved the problems that Jay po

"Steven R. Brandt" <sbrandt@xxxxxxxxxxx>

PTP User <ptp-user@xxxxxxxxxxx>

02/11/2010 10:33 AM

[ptp-user] Getting started with PTP

Sent by:

ptp-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

I'm getting started with PTP and Eclipse at the same time. I have
resolved the problems that Jay posted for me to this list
previously--mostly by installing more of the available components.

I found a place to set the include path in part of the regular C/C++
build area (not the PTP one), and I created a makefile (didn't realize I
needed to do that, I thought the project would build using Eclipse magic).

I had to specify CC=mpicc in the makefile to get things to work, and now
I can build an MPI application--except it doesn't seem that the settings
for the MPI compiler that I put into PTP are being used for anything. Am
I missing something? I had thought these settings would have been used
to set CC, or CFLAGS, or something.

Cheers,
Steve