Re: [ptp-user] Assistance needed to start with Eclipse/PTP

Deb,
To use PTP tools with Eclipse 3.5 and CDT 6.0.x, you need PTP 3.0, which is available in a pre-release. We are still working on it, but the features
that are comparable to PTP 2.1 (which uses Eclipse 3.4 and CDT 5.0) are working in PTP 3.0.
See instructions here: http://wiki.eclipse.org/PTP/release_notes/3.0

If you plan to use MPI, PTP works best where an MPI that has been configured for PTP is available.
This includes Linux and Mac OSX.
Since you say multicore, perhaps you plan to do multi-threading work?
You will need a compiler and debugger (gcc and gdb?) supported by PTP and CDT on your machine.
On windows, cygwin or MinGW can provide this.
Often PTP users connect to a parallel machine remotely from windows - using the local machine for Eclipse/UI/etc and the remote machine to launch the parallel program.
For multi-threading, the CDT debugger depends on the underlying gdb for its support for multi-threaded debugging.
Let us know how you fare.

...Beth

Beth Tibbitts (859) 243-4981 (TL 545-4981)
Eclipse Parallel Tools Platform http://eclipse.org/ptp
Mailing Address: IBM Corp., Coldstream Research Campus, 745 West New Circle Road, Lexington, KY 40511

Inactive hide details for "Debabrata Midya" ---09/03/2009 01:31:48 AM---Dear PTP users,"Debabrata Midya" ---09/03/2009 01:31:48 AM---Dear PTP users,

          "Debabrata Midya" <Debabrata.Midya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: ptp-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

          09/03/2009 01:31 AM

          Please respond to
          PTP User list <ptp-user@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<ptp-user@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

[ptp-user] Assistance needed to start with Eclipse/PTP

Dear PTP users,

Thanks in advance.

I am Deb, Statistician at NSW Department of Commerce, Sydney.
I am new to Eclipse/PTP and like to learn parallel programming especially multicore programming.
I am using Windows XP. I have downloaded and installed eclipse SDK version 3.5.0. I have also installed Eclipse C/C++ Development Tools (CDT) version 6.0.

May I request you to assist me on the followings:

1. Should I need anything else to install to start with Eclipse/PTP. If it is, please let me know what are the remaining ones and where can I get them and any tips to install them.

2. Is there any example code(s) to start with?

3. Is there any documentation on multicore programming using Eclipse/PTP.

4. Any documentation for further reading and practice.

Once again, thank you very much for the time you have given.

I am looking forward for your reply.

Regards,

Deb

This email message, including any attached files, is confidential and
addressed.

The NSW Department of Commerce prohibits the right to publish,
copy, distribute or disclose any information contained in this email,
or its attachments, by any party other than the intended recipient.
If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and
delete it from your system.

No employee or agent is authorised to conclude any binding
agreement on behalf of the NSW Department of Commerce by email. The
views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of the Department,
except where the sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be
the views of NSW Department of Commerce.

The NSW Department of Commerce accepts no liability for any loss or
damage arising from the use of this email and recommends that the
recipient check this email and any attached files for the presence of
viruses.